Collage

Collage

Monday, April 25, 2011

The jean issue

I was thinking about the whole "jeans issue" this weekend and I really do think that finding a pair of jeans that fit well, is a bit of an issue.

For a few years in London, I almost never wore jeans. My friend Madelein would giggle and ask why I didn't wear jeans but I, unlike every other sane person in the world, I found jeans to be extremely uncomfortable, so that was always my excuse. It was not for lack of trying. I would go to Selfridges and other posh shops and try on tons of jeans, but none of the pricey brands ever fit me well. They were either to low, too tight by the but, to loose by the waist, to tight by the legs, too whatever, so I gave up trying.

A few years later, on a bargainista shopping expedition in Primark (a very cheap shop in the United Kingdom), I stumbled to the dressing room with arms-full of clothes, and on the way, I decided to just grab a pair of jeans, afterall, I was going to try on for a while and what damage can a pair of ill-fitting jeans do. 

Shockingly enough, these cheap jeans fit like they were made for me. I could not believe it, so I grabbed 2 pairs (each in a different wash) and made a bee-line for the register. That was the end of my jean dry-spell. Since then I've had luck at Calvin Klein, DKNY and Tommy Hilfiger, but no matter how many designer jean brands like Rock & Republic and True Religion I try, I just can't find a single cut that works with my very round booty. Which, I guess is not such a bad thing, because I am saving loads of $$$ by buying cheaper more flattering brands. 

Now, looking back, I can't believe that I was jean-less for about 3 years. How did I cope? If you told me now that I couldn't wear jeans anymore, I'd be screwed, because I practically live in my jeans now. It just goes to show, when you go to buy jeans, don't just go for a name, because no jeans look good on everyone. You have to just try, try and try again, until you find that perfect brand that works for you. It's hard work, but so worth it in the end. 

Day 77 - Outfit 77

  
Dressing up some jeans: BCBG sweater, satin pussy-bow-tie shirt, jeans and brown suede high-heels.

No comments:

Post a Comment