Collage

Collage

Thursday, June 30, 2011

What is it worth?

I have talked about how this Shop-my-closet-365-challenge has made me think about my closet and what I choose to spend money on and the fact that it has made me a lot more conscientious about what I am buying. A new thing that is happening to me, is that I am starting to have an inner discussion about everything that I buy to determine if something is really worth the retail price for me. 

I am now approaching shopping in a completely different way. Instead of going: "this costs $50, cool", I think to myself whether I am buying it just because the price suits me or am I buying it because it is worth that amount. I also off course have to check that it fits within my budget.  

Example: I bought this white t-shirt a week of so ago:


I can't really remember what I paid for it, but I look at the price, say $25 and I determine that for a white t-shirt, I will not pay more than say $15. Then I try it on and the fit is great, which pushes up the price a bit more. Then I look at the details, I see the beading and that adds a bit more to the price, so in the end, I feel it is worth it for me to spend $25 on it. Sounds a bit silly, but it works for me.

I think/hope it should work pretty much the same way once my strict budget is no longer in place. For a designer outfit the brand, cut, fabric, beading, fit and way it makes me feel, will all come together to determine the price that I feel the item is worth.

If all I get out of this challenge is to make me more consciously involved when I am buying stuff, I feel that I would have succeeded.

Day 143 - Outfit 143

Pink silk top, jean skirt, beads and Jimmy Choo shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment