Collage

Collage

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Shopping in SA - Days 228 & 229

I spent a bit of time in the shops in South Africa and even though I didn't really buy much, I must admit that it is not because I didn't find things that wanted, but rather because the prices were so high. I had to use my old rule of "is this worth the price?" on each item and this time, I added "would I pay this price for something similar in America?" and nine out of ten times, the answer was no.

The Rand Dollar exchange rate definitely had something to do with the fact that things were expensive, but the fact that import duties on clothing are so high (around 35-40%), which off course push up the prices. Lately, the local shops are also pushing their prices up because labour is not as cheap as it used to be and most fabrics get imported too (with a heavy import tax naturally).

In my opinion, SA is missing a nice middle of the range, affordable shop that has fashionable quality items. Maybe one day...a girl can dream.

Day 228 - Outfit 228

Black sweater, maxi dress and wedges (and my fabulous accessory, Steffi the miniature Schnauzer)

Day 229 - Outfit 229

Posing with a friend at an 80's party. Not exactly a fashionable outfit, but definitely fun - gotta love the side ponytail and I'm channeling Linda Evans with my shoulder-pad-esque BCBG top.

No comments:

Post a Comment